The Kitchen Garden covers approximately 1 acre and was built according to a classic Victorian plan. It faces south and slopes gently to the yew hedge at one end, maximising the impact of the suns rays and draining cold air away from the crops. Productive beds lie in each of the 4 quadrants bisected by a path flanked with deep herbaceous borders.
The greenhouses range from cold; housing peaches, nectarines and apricots, to heated ; where our figs, grapes, oranges and lemons live. Our eldest specimen is 150 years old, an orange tree brought back by family member Agnes Minna in 1857. Orchids and exotic hot house flowers are raised here for the house and it is here we keep our collection of scented pelargoniums. Slow worms, newts and toads live under the staging and help to keep pests down.
Backed by a yew hedge dating from 1902 the herbaceous borders provide colour and interest all year round. From the displays of snowdrops in the spring to peonies, irises and asters later in the year there is always something to catch the eye. Across the lawns the ground dips away to give views across the Wye valley to the hills.
(known as the Rockery) Before 1950 this area was a Rockery and the name has stuck. It now concentrates on shade and moisture loving plants such as candelabra primulas, Lysichiton Americanus, Darmera Peltata, Trilliums and ferns. Lady Delia planted Japanese Acers when she first started replanting this area and we are continuing this theme in the development of a new path into the Rockery. “Mary’s Walk” will be planted with Acers and ferns in a modern take on a stumpery.
A shelter belt of 150 year old beech encircle the back of the gardens known as“Garden Wood”. Paths here are strewn with ash and old pottery from the house 100 years ago. In one area a favourite horse was buried “Lady Betty 18991931” and in another a memorial to Minx and Muffet (19211931) sits next to mementos of recent family pets.