The Gardens at Llysdinam lie in the heart of Mid Wales backed by the Cambrian mountains and looking out over the Wye valley and the village of Newbridge-on-Wye.
Evolving from the 1850’s with a walled kitchen garden and beautifully planted grounds surrounding Llysdinam Hall, it has been in continuous use by the same family for 150 years. The gardens are now run by the Llysdinam Trust who are working to maintain its historical importance whilst developing it further as a garden.
The 20 acre garden is romantic and naturalistic in style and includes a Walled Kitchen Garden with extensive Greenhouses, mixed Herbaceous Borders, a Shrubbery, Bog Garden, Woodland walks and newly restored Lakeside planting. The main influence on the gardens as they are today was Lady Delia Venables Llewelyn who gardened here from the 1950’s to 2005. She was still gardening at 96 and her love for the garden can be seen in the many choice and unusual trees and shrubs she planted here.
OUR NEW LAKESIDE PLANTING
This is a new area of the garden following the dredging of an overgrown pond that was originally designed to provide water in the event of a fire at the hall. It will be seeded with a wildflower meadow mix containing orchids, and Acers and Betula varieties will be planted on its banks.
A gravelled path will take you round to seating areas from which to admire the view. Ongoing research into newts and amphibians will be carried out in the spring.
The Walled Kitchen
The Kitchen Garden covers approximately 1 acre and was built according to a classic Victorian plan. It faces south and slopes gently to the yew hedge at one end, maximising the impact of the suns rays and draining cold air away from the crops. Productive beds lie in each of the 4 quadrants bisected by a path flanked with deep herbaceous borders.
The greenhouses range from cold; housing peaches, nectarines and apricots, to heated ; where our figs, grapes, oranges and lemons live. Our eldest specimen is 150 years old, an orange tree brought back by family member Agnes Minna in 1857. Orchids and exotic hot house flowers are raised here for the house and it is here we keep our collection of scented pelargoniums. Slow worms, newts and toads live under the staging and help to keep pests down.
Mixed Herbaceous Borders
Backed by a yew hedge dating from 1902 the herbaceous borders provide colour and interest all year round. From the displays of snowdrops in the spring to peonies, irises and asters later in the year there is always something to catch the eye. Across the lawns the ground dips away to give views across the Wye valley to the hills.
Created in a classic Victorian style this area is currently being redeveloped as we are unearthing original paths buried beneath a foot of leaf litter. Rhododendrons, Pieris, Cornus and Hydrangeas love our acidic soil and lilies, hostas and cammassias thrive beneath them.
The Bog Garden
(known as the Rockery) Before 1950 this area was a Rockery and the name has stuck. It now concentrates on shade and moisture loving plants such as candelabra primulas, Lysichiton Americanus, Darmera Peltata, Trilliums and ferns. Lady Delia planted Japanese Acers when she first started replanting this area and we are continuing this theme in the development of a new path into the Rockery. “Mary’s Walk” will be planted with Acers and ferns in a modern take on a stumpery.
A shelter belt of 150 year old beech encircle the back of the gardens known as“Garden Wood”. Paths here are strewn with ash and old pottery from the house 100 years ago. In one area a favourite horse was buried “Lady Betty 1899 – 1931” and in another a memorial to Minx and Muffet (1921 – 1931) sits next to mementos of recent family pets.